Boxes are easily one of the most underrated inventions but commonly found and used in human history. Boxes are the foundation, or rather the backbone, of the packaging industry. As a retailer or a wholesaler, one can use many different types of boxes to your advantage. One can draw attention to their product by incorporating catch designs on the packaging boxes. One can also send a message to their consumers and be in control of how they feel about the business brand.
There are many different types of boxes that come in a range of shapes, sizes, materials and even colour. Here are a few types of carton box designs that are commonly used in the packaging industries.
1. Rigid Boxes
- Rigid boxes are also known as set-up boxes
- Rigid boxes are well-known for their sturdiness and durability.
- These boxes do not fold easily or collapse easily like regular folding boxes do.
- This type of boxes are generally used to store and keep products that are of higher quality or products of important values.
- Rigid boxes are mainly used in keeping products that are very fragile in order to ensure extra support.
- For example, rigid boxes can be used to store branded new phones such as iPhones.
2. Die-Cut Boxes
- Die-cut boxes are customizable corrugated cardboard boxes that are designed to fit any shape, size, or need.
- They are made from plain sheets of corrugated material on a machine which is known as a die cutter. Hence, its name: die-cut boxes.
- The procedures of manufacturing die-cut boxes begins with design specialists designing the box. Then, the die press will be set and configured to cut the cardboard. After the boxes have been cut, they can be customized by adding unique graphics that may include product information, warnings, and sometimes even the company logos.
3. Corrugated Boxes
- Corrugated boxes are lightweight but durable boxes that are made of folded corrugated paperboards.
- Corrugated boxes have a stronger bending rigidity, and a high resistance to crushing compared to most other packaging boxes.
- There are different types of corrugated boards that have its own density of the arches or flutes, and the thickness of the boards.
- For most cases, multiple corrugated boards are combined to make a double wall or triple wall boxes that are stronger and thicker than most other packaging boxes.
- This enables corrugated boxes to be used in the shipping industry where people are required to move heavy items.
- Lighter and economic corrugated boxes are often used in retail packaging or in packaging food. For instance, pizza boxes are made from single-walled corrugated boards.
- Corrugated boxes can be easily recycled unless they are laminated with plastics.
- Corrugated boxes are usually laminated with other forms of paper that enhances their appearances and promotes the brand name to many others.
4. Regular Slotted Carton (also known as RSC)
- This carton box design is the most commonly used and seen in the packaging industry as it is designed for many applications.
- RSC boxes have the usual four flaps and are generally the same length.
- The two outer flaps (otherwise known as the lengthwise flap) are one-half of the width of the container. They are designed such that they meet at the center of the box when closed.
5. Top & BTM Tray
- This carton box design is made of a separate top, or top and bottom that fit over each other or a separate body.
- These boxes can be designed and manufactured in different unjoined and pre-glued styles and configurations to fit the needs of the user.
- Top and BTM Tray boxes are mostly used to present high-end products like technology and gives out an aura and feeling of sophistication
6. Folding Carton Boxes
- These were the first types of boxes used in the packaging industry.
- Back in the day, folding cartons were only used to package expensive goods, but that changed over time.
- Folding cartons today are commonly used by most companies to ship their packages to the consumer securely and safely.
- This is the most common and popular type of box used in the shipping industry since they are easy to use and seal.
- Folding cartons can collapsed when not in use and reassembled when you need to use them.
- They are suitable for shipping lightweight items such as shoes, canned items and clothes.
7. Mailer Boxes
- As its name suggests, mailer boxes are normally used in storing packaging products for mailing purposes.
- Mailer boxes are designed to easily fit into letterboxes, which makes delivery easier for the receiver of the mail.
- A mailer box is designed especially for mailing smaller products.
- If the receiver is not at home during the delivery, the delivery man can just leave the package in the mailbox.
In conclusion, these are some of the types of carton box designs that you can use in the packaging industries. With the information above, it might help you can make a more informed decision on the kind of box you should use to ship your products in the future.